Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Well, English and Hand-Signals It Is.

There's nothing like not speaking the language of the land you're in to really make you feel culture shock. Everything becomes a bit of an anxiety ridden challenge. From trying to pay for water at 7Eleven, to ordering food, it can all be a bit daunting. We'll get through it together, and with one-word English phrases and hand signals. The good thing is nearly all food items are very inexpensive here. My breakfast caffeine shot, a pastry, and some fresh fruit only cost around 90NTD (New Taiwanese Dollar)...which is roughly $3.00 American. Not bad.

Today I've eaten steamed calamari, spicy tofu, pork liver, sticky rice, sarsaparilla soda, egg...something, and attempted to do it all (sans the soda), with chopsticks. Little known fact about me: attempting to use chopsticks in front of people nearly paralyzes me with fear. I don't know why, there's just so much pressure. I think it takes the most basic of tasks, eating, and the most basic of tools, traditional Western utensils, and makes them both a challenge. I didn't make it through the meal without giving in to an inviting fork, calling for me to be its friend. Tomorrow I'll try again.

After a day of class, a site visit, an unfulfilling lunch, and a strange dessert, I needed some solid food, something recognizable to me, so I caved in to the delights of McDonald's. Not something I even eat much stateside anymore, I really just needed something familiar - more specifically, I needed a familiar protein that didn't come from the sea. (FYI, I have never liked seafood. I always try it, never like it. This trip may be rough.) It was a good break and a nearly stress-free eating experience, something desperately needed at the end of day 1.

After grabbing a quick bite at McDonald's, we ventured out into the neighborhood and the famous night markets. These alley-way hot spots are where the Taiwanese people go to eat, shop, and socialize. With rows and rows of hole in the wall shops, shacks, and eateries, and people crammed in like sardines, they are the essence of Taipei, truly at the heart of it all. From stinky tofu to chicken feet and beyond, the night markets truly cover the bases of inexpensive, quick, Taiwanese cuisine. They're an amazing sight to see, but a bit overwhelming as well.

Aside from food and the night markets, the highlight of today was visiting the Shilin Presidential Palace and Gardens. Built originally for Chiang Kai Shek, it was a grand, yet peaceful living tribute. A rose garden with hundreds of rose bushes was mirrored by amassive head-shaped topiary in the Western-influenced garden. In the Chinese style garden, traditional structures, coy, flowers, and water features invite tourists through its winding paths. Unfortunately the Presidential Palace is forbidden; nobody around here seems to know why, so we only witnessed it from the gates. I took quite a few pictures on our trek, I'll post a link below.

Well, while that's not nearly enough to capture my day or fill you in on my travel stories, it is time for bed. Rest is much needed to gain the courage to face Taiwan again in the morning. So for now, goodnight moon.


Picture link to come as soon as I upload them. I'll just edit the post...